Burritos are a weekly meal in our house. Mainly because I can make them with only about ten minutes of prep work and still serve a healthy meal. Sometimes when I have more time, I simmer a pot of beans instead of buying them canned, or I make the salsa or guacamole from scratch. But on most weeknights, roasting a pan of peppers and onions is as fancy as I get.
To mix it up this week, I opted for burrito bowls as an even healthier alternative. My husband insisted that a bowl is not a burrito and wrapped the contents of the burrito bowl in a tortilla left over from last week’s burrito dinner. If you or your family want to do the same, that is allowed.
The only requirement I would insist upon is this fried corn salad. You can make it with fresh corn on the cob so that it is extra sweet and juicy. I like to use fresh corn when we’ve had corn on the cob the night before and have some left over. Then I’ve already gone through the steps of husking and boiling or grilling the corn and can simply slice off the kernels and use them. This time of year, the reward of working with sweet, flavorful corn on the cob is definitely worth the extra effort. However, if I don’t have cooked corn on the cob handy, I would use frozen corn. (No need to thaw it first.)Print
Burrito Bowls with Fried Corn Salad
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Burrito fillings as desired: black beans, avocado, queso fresco, salsa, sour cream
- 4 lettuce leaves (green leaf or Romaine)
Fried corn salad:
- 4 cups corn kernels (cut from the cob, or use frozen corn)
- 5 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 package queso fresco, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- pinch of cayenne
- pinch of chili powder
- olive oil
- For the corn salad: In a frying pan, heat olive oil. Add corn and allow to slightly char. Stir occasionally so each side of the corn becomes slightly blackened. Add spices. Stir. Remove from heat. Add queso fresco.
- Lay one lettuce leaf each in four bowls. Add burrito ingredients, including the corn salad.