This is a delicious recipe for caramel apple bars. I used a blend of homegrown apples that I’ve had in my fridge over the season: Empire, Macoun and Pink Lady. Any apples will be excellent in this recipe! It calls for a shortbread crust with oatmeal and a hint of brown sugar. I used caramel candies that I melted down, but I think it would be equally delicious baked just with the apples and then drizzled with caramel sauce. Not everyone in my family likes caramel, so I divided this into an 8×8 pan and a smaller pan and made one version with just apples and no caramels. Next time I might try putting the apples on the bottom and pressing the shortbread crust over top of the apples. This would be a tasty breakfast option that wouldn’t be too sugary!
Caramel Apple Bars
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 4 1/2 cups apples, peeled and chopped
- 11 ounces caramel candies
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a food processor or stand mixer until well combined, about 3-5 minutes. In a separate bowl, combine the oats, flour and baking soda and mix well. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until combined. It will be a flaky shortbread crust.
- Press the shortbread crust into an ungreased 9x13 baking dish.
- Add the apples on top.
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt the butter, then add the caramels. Stir frequently until melted. Whisk in the flour once the caramels have melted, then pour over the apple mixture.
- Place in the oven and bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes. Cool to room temperature and serve.