Having been raised on the East Coast, maple syrup is a taste I grew up loving. I didn’t realize until I was older that for some it’s an acquired taste. Even a Canadian friend from the West Coast didn’t indulge in maple products too often because as a non-local product it tended to be expensive, and thus she didn’t acquire the taste or craving for it.
Pennsylvania is one of the leading maple syrup producers, and March is Maple Month as it’s prime time for syrup making. (Learn more about PA Maple production in this article from our friends at Weaver’s Orchard.) Wolff’s sells maple syrup from New York State (Fransylvania) and from PA (Shiloh Sugarbush).
A few years ago my husband and I visited Québec, and realized that the food there blended the things we loved about France and the Northeast. One of the most memorable dishes was crepes with pecans, butter, maple syrup and maple sugar. This delicious combination is absolutely irresistible! It’s the perfect Saturday morning breakfast, or a recipe for a brunch. And you can get two kinds of pecan halves at Wolff’s: both roasted & salted and raw (unsalted).
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ tsp salt
- Butter for frying
- Beat the eggs in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and milk. Add the beaten eggs, oil and salt.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan or crepe maker.
- Drop a very small ladle full of crepe batter onto the frying pan. Tilt the frying pan around to spread the crepe batter very thinly and evenly over the pan. After a minute or two, flip the crepe (the batter should be cooked by this point - this step is just to get both sides lightly golden.) Repeat to make remaining crepes.
- ½ cup pecans
- ¼ cup maple sugar
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- Maple syrup to taste
- Pulse pecans in a food processor until they become a fine powder. Transfer to a small bowl. If desired, mix pecans, butter and maple sugar all together to form a paste, or let guests make their own crepes with these ingredients out. Drizzle with maple syrup as desired.