I love when Valentine’s Day falls on a weekend. There’s something so cozy about this mid-February holiday. I’ve never been much for competing with the crowds to get a table at a restaurant, but I love getting to enjoy some chocolate-themed treats in the quiet of my home. This year as restaurants operate at even lower occupancy that normal, it seems like the perfect time to enjoy a quiet meal with loved ones. This year, my husband, my two little boys and I will be enjoying crêpes with fresh strawberries drizzled with dark and white chocolate sauce.
Although strawberries aren’t local this time of year, this is a great recipe to revisit in the spring when fresh, homegrown strawberries are available at Wolff’s Apple House. Currently our strawberries are coming from Florida. This time of year, other chocolate treats available include Valentine’s chocolates and chocolate covered strawberries from Bevan’s Own Make Candies.
Crêpes also hold a special place in my heart, since I used to live in France and we had crêpe nights with a big group of friends every Sunday night. We’d serve the crêpes with a variety of savory and sweet toppings such as with bananas and Nutella or ham and caramelized onions.
The recipe is simple, but be sure to use this recipe or a similar one that uses more milk than flour. I’ve seen some recipes that get that ratio wrong, and trust me, you will be disappointed!
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- ½ cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Slowly add the flour and stir until no longer lumpy. Add the oil and salt and whisk until incorporated.
- Melt butter in a medium sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add about ½ cup of batter to the pan and tip the pan around to spread it thinly. Cook 1-2 minutes per side until crepes are lightly brown. Transfer to a plate and repeat until all the crepes have been made, adding more butter to the pan each time.
- Slice the strawberries. put the chocolate and white chocolate chips in microwave safe bowls and microwave for 30-second increments, stirring until melted.
- Once crepes are ready, fill with sliced strawberries, fold up and drizzle with melted chocolate and white chocolate. Serve and enjoy!
Tip: I find that the store brand white chocolate chips melt better than the name brand!