A delicious Wolff Family Recipe that’s perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas!Print
Wild Mushroom Stuffing
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 leeks, washed and sliced
- 4 cups wild mushrooms (chanterelles, porcinis, creminis, etc.)
- 4 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 3 medium celery stalks with leaves, chopped
- 15-ounce bag cubed seasoned stuffing or 1 pound firm white sandwich bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (10 cups) and dried overnight or in the oven
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 cups turkey stock or chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the leeks, mushrooms, shallots and celery. Cook, stirring often, until the onion is golden, about 10 minutes.
- Scrape the vegetables and butter into a large bowl. Add the stuffing and parsley. Stir in enough of the stock to moisten the stuffing, about 2 1/2 cups. Season with the poultry seasoning, if desired, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Use to stuff turkey, and cook turkey as usual or place in a buttered baking dish, cover, and a bake as a side dish for the last hour, along side your turkey.