Lisa McWaters, our Grocery Manager, tells us that this recipe is a fun, savory, spicy way to use fresh local rhubarb! Pair it with local Asparagus on the side for a delicious springtime meal!
Spicy Chicken with Cucumber-Rhubarb Salsa
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper, roughly chopped (with seeds)
- 2 large cloves Garlic, peeled
- 2 large or 4 small Scallions, sliced thin, green & white parts divided
- 1 ½ Tbs. Tamari
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 Chicken Thighs (skin-on, bone-in)
- Coarse Salt
- 2 cups Rhubarb (stems only), sliced into ¼” cubes
- 1 large or 2 small Cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and cut into ¼” cubes
- ¼ cup fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbs. Honey
- 1 Tbs. Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp. fresh-squeezed Lime Juice
- Fresh-ground Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 500°. Line a large baking sheet with foil.
- Using a food processor, pulse jalapeno, garlic, and white parts of scallions until finely chopped. With the food processor running, add the tamari and olive oil and process until an emulsion forms. Put this sauce in a bowl and set aside.
- Place the chicken thighs skin side up on a cutting board and slash them crosswise every inch or so down to the bone. Season with salt. Put the chicken on your foiled baking sheet and brush generously with the sauce. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part reads 165°. For crisper skin, set them under a high broil for an additional 3 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the salsa: Combine the rhubarb, cucumber, cilantro, honey, vegetable oil, lime juice, and green parts of the scallions in a bowl and toss until well mixed. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let it sit for at least 10 minutes to allow the flavors to come together.
- To serve, spoon the salsa onto the chicken or serve on the side.