This recipe is very forgiving, and always yummy! Have fun!
Here are some variations: You can add to the food processor:
- ½ cup of raw veggies (like carrots, zucchini, greens, celery, etc.)
- 1 cup of shredded cheese
- ½ cup fresh herbs of your choice
- ½ cup nuts or seeds—add toward the end of processing
Simple Bean Burgers
- 2 cups cooked beans, or 1 14-ounce can, drained (They can be white, black, or red beans, or chick peas)
- 1 egg
- ½ cup uncooked oats
- 1 Tbs. chili powder
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine the beans, egg, oats, chili powder, onion, and some salt and pepper in a food processor and pulse until chunky but not quite pureed. You want a moist but not wet mixture; you can add a little liquid (water, stock, wine, milk, etc.) if necessary.
- (The mixture can rest, covered, in the fridge at this point if you want to make it in advance.)
- Film the bottom of a large nonstick or seasoned cast-iron skillet with the oil and turn the heat to medium. Let the pan heat for a minute or so.
- With wet hands (this keeps the mixture from sticking), mold the patties into whatever shape and size you want. Drop onto the heated pan and cook for about 5-7 minutes on each side. Melt cheese on top if desired. Serve on a bun with toppings and enjoy!