A versatile veggie burger! Substitute spinach for the chard, or play around with the addition of other vegetables—mushrooms, carrots, zucchini, whatever! You can adjust the amount of oats to soak up additional moisture if you need to, depending on which veggies you use. Makes about 8 patties.
Tofu Burgers with Spring Veggies
Author: Wolff's Apple House
Tofu Burgers with Spring Veggies Author: Wolff's Apple House
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 12.3 oz block extra firm tofu, drained and cut into cubes
- 2 stalks spring garlic OR 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 cups chopped Swiss Chard (including stems!)
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup fresh basil
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 egg
- salt & pepper
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the first 9 ingredients in a food processor and pulse until coarsely ground. Transfer to a bowl. Before you add the raw egg, sample the mixture and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the egg and blend by hand until incorporated. It should be a thick mixture.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add enough oil to coat the bottom. With wet hands, shape the tofu mixture into approximately 3” diameter patties and ease onto the skillet. Cook the patties on one side for 5-7 minutes or until golden. Flip and cook on the other side the same way. If you are cooking them in batches, you may need to add a bit more oil each time.
- Transfer all the burgers onto the baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes, or until they’re cooked all the way through with a firm texture.
- Serve as you would any burger with your favorite toppings!