Adapted from a Bon Appetit recipe, this sheet cake is dotted with pretty strawberries and has a bright, lemony flavor. And yes, that is olive oil you’re using! Top with the optional strawberry whipped cream for an extra treat.Print
Valentine’s Strawberry Cake
- 12 oz. strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced (¼”)
- Coarse salt
- 1 ½ cups white flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup plus 4 Tbs sugar, plus more for pan
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for pan
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- ¾ cup plain greek yogurt
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 3 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Heavy cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a medium bowl, toss strawberries, 2 Tbs sugar, and a pinch of salt. Let sit for at least a half hour, stirring every so often.
- Grease a 13” x 9” sheet pan with olive oil. Line the pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2” overhang on the long sides.Grease the parchment with olive oil. Sprinkle sugar all over pan and parchment until evenly coated and tap out the excess.
- Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and 1 tsp salt in a medium bowl. Whisk ½ cup sugar, brown sugar, eggs, egg yolks, yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla in a large bowl until combined. Add the dry ingredients and whisk gently to combine. Fold in the ½ cup olive oil until batter is completely mixed and smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread out evenly. Take your sugared strawberries and arrange them into rows, with the shoulders of the berries touching. Reserve the syrup from the soaking strawberries to make strawberry whipped cream (optional)
- Sprinkle the remaining 2 Tbs of sugar all over the top of the cake. Bake in oven until starting to brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (about 45-50 minutes.)
- Cool completely before cutting.
- To make strawberry whipped cream, use at least 3 Tbs of reserved strawberry syrup per cup of heavy cream.
- Store cake covered at room temperature.