From the kitchen of Andi Wolff. These simple canapés are a unique and very easy way to showcase fresh winter citrus!Print
Blood Orange and Fennel Canapés
- 3 Tbs Butter, softened
- ½ tsp Fennel Seeds, crushed
- ½ tsp fresh ground Black Pepper
- 1 head Fennel
- 2 Blood Oranges
- Saltines, or preferred savory cracker
- Coarse salt to taste
- Segment the blood oranges: With a very sharp or serrated knife, slice off the top and bottom of the orange. Stand it upright on one of the cut ends. Use the knife to remove strips of the peel from top to bottom, including the white pith. Then hold the peeled orange over a bowl and make a cut on both sides of each segment along the membrane. Let the segment fall into the bowl, and repeat all the way around the orange.
Mash together the butter, fennel seeds, and pepper. Slice the fennel into thin strips.
- Spread this mixture on the crackers. Top each cracker with a slice of fennel and a blood orange segment. Sprinkle coarse salt on top.