Put our gorgeous fall broccoli to good use with this recipe adapted from cookbook author Mark Bittman’s chicken stir fry recipe—not too complicated, very healthy and super delicious!
Broccoli Stir-Fry with Chicken & Mushrooms
Author: Wolff's Apple House
Adapted from Mark Bittman
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 2-3 shallots, chopped
- 1 pound broccoli, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces (stems no more than ¼ in. thick)
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed, and sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs, cut into ½ to ¾-inch chunks or thin slices and blotted dry
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- Heat large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Once it is hot, add 1 Tbs. oil and coat the bottom of the pan. Add half the garlic, ginger and shallots.Cook and stir 15 seconds, then add all but a small portion of the broccoli and mushrooms. Increase to high heat. Cook and stir until mushrooms release liquid and broccoli turns bright green and browns slightly (3 to 5 minutes).
- Add 1 cup water and salt, to taste. Stir and cook another minute or two, until almost all the liquid cooks off. The broccoli should be almost tender. Transfer all cooked ingredients to a bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium, add remaining oil, garlic, shallots and ginger and stir. Add chicken and turn heat to high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium, return the broccoli, mushrooms, and liquid to the pan, and stir. Add the soy sauce, sprinkle with more salt and some pepper. Add a little more water if the mixture is dry. Increase heat to high and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is reduced slightly, scraping the bits of chicken as you go.