This comes from the recipe book of our chef Chuck Smith. Just in case you were looking for yet another way to use all that summer zucchini! Try them dipped in ketchup or ranch dressing.Print
- 2 zucchini, cut into thick spears
- 2 eggs, whisked
- ½ cup white flour (plus extra for coating zucchini)
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbs Old Bay seasoning
- Peanut oil (at least 32 oz)
- Blanch the zucchini spears by boiling in a large pot of boiling water for about 4 minutes. Plunge immediately into cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain and spread them out to dry somewhat.
- Mix together flour, cornmeal, salt, pepper, and Old Bay.
- Coat each zucchini spear in some flour. Dredge them in the whisked egg, and then coat again in the flour/cornmeal mixture.
- In a pot or deep frying pan, heat 2” of peanut oil to 350°. Fry the zucchini until golden and crispy. Transfer to wire rack set above paper towels. Serve immediately.
- After the oil has cooled completely, you can strain it through cheesecloth and keep it in a container to re-use for frying multiple times.