This spicy, creamy sauce is made with freshly grated horseradish root. Be prepared: grating the horseradish is the hardest part! After that, it’s easy-peasy and super delicious. Perfect for burgers, roast beef sandwiches, egg sandwiches, grilled cheese…. Or spread it on some crackers for a quick snack!
Author: Wolff's Apple House
- About ½ pound fresh horseradish (1 cup grated)
- 2 Tbs white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 Tbs sour cream
- ½ Tbs mayonnaise (optional)
- Peel the horseradish root and grate until you have 1 cup. If you have a cuisinart with a grating attachment, it will be much easier. But it’s do-able by hand.
- Combine the grated horseradish, vinegar, salt, and sour cream and blend well. At this point it will be creamy but a little watery. If you’d like it to be thicker, add the mayonnaise.
- Let sit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours at least before serving.
- Lasts up to a week in a sealed container in the fridge.