These vegetarian “meatballs” are packed with greens—any greens you like! Use one kind only or mix and match. They work with traditional spaghetti and sauce, or try them simmered in a curry sauce over rice. Or just pop them in your mouth as a healthy snack!Print
Baked Meatless “Meatballs”
- 1 large bunch fresh greens (at least ½ pound): kale, chard, beet greens, spinach, etc.
- ½ cup basil, cilantro, or parsley
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- salt to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbs. cumin seeds
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350⁰.
- Remove stems from greens. Combine greens and herbs in a food processor and pulse several times, until pieces are very small but not puréed.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-low heat and add onion and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cumin seed and cook for a minute more.
- Add the greens and herb mixture and sauté for 2 minutes or until wilted. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool.
- Add the breadcrumbs and feta cheese. Mix well and taste to adjust seasoning, and then mix in the egg.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Roll the mixture into 1” balls and place on the parchment paper. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately or at room temperature.