This fresh, zingy salad is perfect for winter, when the BEST citrus is available at Wolff’s!
Orange and Red Onion Salad
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard (or Champagne mustard)
- Juice of half an orange
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & black pepper to taste
SALAD & TOPPINGS:
- 1 Navel peeled & sliced into rounds (or try 2–3 blood oranges instead!)
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt & cayenne pepper to taste
- 2 cups spring mix
- 2 scallions, chopped (or chives if available)
- Whisk together vinegar, honey, Dijon, and orange juice in a small bowl for the vinaigrette. Drizzle in oil, whisk until emulsified. Season with salt & pepper.
- Marinate orange and onion slices in vinaigrette in a shallow dish (such as a pie plate) for 10 minutes
- Toast almonds in butter in a small non-stick skillet over medium heat. When barely golden brown add sugar, salt & cayenne. Continue cooking, stirring, constantly, until almonds are browned and coated with sugar. Transfer nuts to a plate to cool.
- To assemble, arrange greens on a platter; top with orange and onion slices and desired amount of vinaigrette. Sprinkle with scallions (or chives) and candies almonds.