Keep this sauteed greens dish clean & vegan or make it a hearty meal by adding sausage and garnish with parmesan cheese.Print
Sauteed Hearty Greens with White Beans
Keep it clean & vegan or make it a hearty meal by adding sausage and garnish with parmesan cheese
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- ¼ cup tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 12 cups (about 1.5 lbs) mixed greens such as mustard greens, spinach or kale, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 (15-ounce) cans cannellini or northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- Zest of one lemon
- A dash of sea salt
- A dash of freshly ground black pepper
- Optional, to make it a meal:
- 1 lb. Italian Sausage
- Parmesan cheese for topping
- 1 lb. Whole grain penne pasta
- If you plan to make penne & sausage, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook penne until al dente. Slice sausage and brown in a large skillet.
- Meanwhile, in another large skillet, sauté garlic in oil over medium heat until golden brown, about 1 minute.
- Add greens and sauté, stirring often until wilted and bright green, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer to another bowl. If you plan to eat the greens plain, drain them. If you plan to serve them over pasta, then reserve the juices.
- Add broth to skillet and deglaze, scraping down the sides. Add beans and simmer until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Return greens to skillet, toss gently with lemon zest and basil and season with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper.
- Serve as a side dish or over pasta with sausage for a filling meal.