Warm up with this great version of escarole soup! Excellent with our organic, local, free-range chicken from Canter Hill Farm!
Chicken Escarole Soup
Author: Wolff's Apple House
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 skinned & boned chicken breast
- 2 medium carrots, peeled & chopped
- 2 medium stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- ¼ cup minced parsley
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ lb. escarole, spinach or Swiss chard, trimmed
- 1 large. ripe tomato, peeled, cored, seeded & chopped
- In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, bring chicken broth and water to a simmer. Add the chicken, carrots, celery and onion, parsley and pepper. Cover and cook until chicken is tender, about 20 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Stir the escarole and tomato into saucepan and simmer uncovered for 5 to 10 minutes. When chicken is cool enough to handle, cut into ½ inch cubes, return it to the saucepan and bring soup to serving temperature.