Crunchy cucumbers—especially when you can get them locally-grown and fresh-picked!—make a great base for a salsa. Here, they are paired with ripe, sweet watermelon for a unique cucumber watermelon salsa that tastes great with grilled seafood!Print
Cucumber Watermelon Salsa
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 2 medium cucumbers (about 1 lb.), peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and diced
- 2 cups seeded and diced watermelon
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro or mint leaves
- Combine the vinegar, sugar, and hot red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Let stand, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves, about 10 minutes.
- Place the cucumbers, watermelon, onion, and cilantro in a large bowl. Drizzle the dressing over the salsa and toss to coat. Add salt to taste. Refrigerate for 1 hour, tossing once or twice, to allow the flavors to develop.
- This salsa can be refrigerated in an airtight container for several days.