This is a very basic way of cooking fresh spinach. The garlic adds some interest (not to mention MORE health benefits!) and the salt just helps to bring out the flavors. Serve as a side dish, or over pasta or rice with your favorite cheese for a vegetarian main course!Print
Easy Sautéed Spinach
- Category: Side Dish
- About one pound fresh spinach
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
- lemon, cut into wedges (optional)
- Wash the spinach VERY WELL, a few times if necessary. If using baby spinach, there is no need to trim the stems. If using full-grown spinach leaves, remove the tougher stems from the leaves and discard. Break up any very large leaves, but there’s no need to chop it up. Drain, but you don’t need to use a salad spinner. A bit of moisture on the leaves will help it to steam.
- In a very large pan, saute the garlic in the olive oil over medium heat for just about a minute. Be careful not to let it brown. Add the spinach all at once if there is room. If not, add half at a time and there will soon be room for the rest as the spinach cooks down.
- Stir often and let it cook until completely wilted, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add salt to taste. Serve the optional lemon wedges on the side. Enjoy this nutrient-packed veggie!