Escarole is a cold-hardy leafy green with a slight cabbage flavor. This side dish is reminiscent of an elegant sauerkraut.
Escarole with Lemon Dressing
Author: Wolff's Apple House
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 1 large head escarole, base removed (and discarded) and leaves washed
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 3 egg yolks
- Slice escarole into long thin shreds, using your food processor's slicing blade or a kitchen knife.
- In a medium saucepan, add chicken broth, lemon juice, butter, salt and a pinch of pepper. Bring to a boil, then add escarole and cook, covered, for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove escarole to a bowl using a slotted spoon. Boil broth until reduced to 1 cup of liquid. Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes.
- In a food processor or blender, process egg yolks till frothy. Slowly pour in broth. If using a food processor, keep the processor running and pour broth through top in a thin stream. If using a blender, add just a little bit at a time and blend on high speed. The mixture will resemble a thin mayonnaise when ready. Pour the sauce over the escarole and toss to coat. Sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper, to taste.Serve warm.