As we transition into warmer weather we can take advantage of ingredients for delicious local produce recipes being in season! Try this recipe and use vidalia onions on special instead of red onions for a bit of a different taste.
Rotini with Roasted Tomatoes & Summer Squash
- 4 small (plum) tomatoes, quartered
- 8 cloves garlic
- ½ red onion, sliced thinly
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Course sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup basil, chopped
- ½ pound rotini or fusili
- 2 zucchini and/or yellow squash, grated
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Zest from one lemon
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Arrange tomatoes on a pyrex baking dish, cut sides up along with whole garlic cloves and sliced red onion. Drizzle with oil; season with salt and pepper. Scatter 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese and 2 tablespoons basil evenly over top. Roast until tomatoes are juicy and bubbling, about 20 minutes; set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring large pot of salted water to boil. Add rotini and cook according to package directions until al dente. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Grate zucchini and yellow squash. Add grated squash, lemon juice, lemon zest and remaining Parmesan cheese and basil to pasta. Toss and combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Top pasta with roasted tomatoes, garlic and onion and serve!