A fancy twist on traditional stuffing, this Thanksgiving recipe blends favorite flavors of the season.
Sage, Sausage & Apple Cornbread Stuffing
- 2 sticks plus 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups water
- 2 large bags of your favorite cornbread stuffing crumbs
- 1 pound pork sausage (not links)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 3 medium cooking apples, like Granny Smith, Rome or Golden Delicious, peeled, cored and chopped
- In a large pot melt 2 sticks butter in water. When melted add dry cornbread stuffing stirring to incorporate liquid, set aside.
- In a large sauté pan set over medium high heat melt 1 tablespoon butter and add sausage. With a wooden spoon break up sausage and sauté until lightly browned and cooked through. Transfer sausage to paper towels to drain. In the same pan melt remaining butter and sauté onions with the garlic, celery, thyme, and sage until onions are translucent and celery is crisp tender. Add walnuts and sauté for 1 minute. Add apples and sauté for one minute more. Remove from heat. Combine cornbread stuffing with sautéed ingredients and stuff turkey. Roast turkey as usual. Alternatively: fill a 9 by 13 by 2 inch pan with the stuffing and bake in a along side your turkey, covered with foil for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake until top is lightly browned, about 15 minutes more.