This gratin can be assembled up to 2 days in advance of baking. Using a mandolin gives you thin, even slices.
Sweet Potato and Cream Cheese Gratin
- Cook Time: 1 min
- Total Time: 1 min
- Yield: 4 1x
- 2–3 cups heavy cream, half-and-half or milk
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cup cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and fresh-ground pepper to taste
- Topping options: grated Parmesan, bread crumbs, or chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Put the cream in a pot and heat until hot (not boiling).
- Whip the cream cheese with just enough cream to make it spreadable.
- Layer the sweet potatoes and cream cheese in a gratin dish. Sprinkle every sweet potato layer with a bit of salt, pepper and thyme. End with a cream cheese layer.
- Pour in enough of the hot cream to come about three-quarters of the way up the potato layers. Top with Parmesan, bread crumbs or pecans.
- Put the dish in the oven and cook, undisturbed, until the sweet potatoes are tender and the top is nicely browned, 45-50 minutes. Sprinkle with freshly grated nutmeg and serve immediately.