Nothing against salad. It’s just that when thinking of a veggie side, it’s often the first thing that comes to mind, and sometimes breaking out of the routine is just what you need to get inspired to eat more veggies.
So try these three easy veggie sides to freshen up your dinner table, and maybe serve them alongside that awesome Cobb salad or Greek salad so you can add even more veggies to your plate.
1. Carrots with Browned Honey Butter and Lavender
As of mid-January 2019, Wolff’s is getting the most amazing local organic winter carrots grown by Enos Stoltzfus in Lincoln University, PA. They are super sweet! You could really just eat these sweet treats raw, but if you want to up your game, try roasting them in some lavender honey butter. (That’s right, not just honey butter… lavender honey butter!)
These are so simple to make, but the combination transforms carrots to candy. If you’re asked to bring a veggie side to a dinner party, I highly recommend bringing this.
Carrots with Browned Honey Butter & Lavender
1 lb. carrots, sliced lengthwise and cut in half
1 stick butter, softened
1/4 cup local honey
1/4 teaspoon lavender (or more to taste)
Dash of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Whip together the butter, honey and lavender in a food processor or blender.
- Add carrots to a sheet pan. Dollop honey butter on top.
- After five minutes, toss the carrots in the butter (it should be more melted by now). Roast for 10-15 minutes more, until carrots are tender but not mushy. Add salt and pepper, and, if desired, add more honey and crushed lavender.
2. Golden-Crusted Brussels Sprouts
This is a classic from the Wolff’s recipe collection! Three great things about this recipe:
- It takes only 20 minutes start-to-finish, with only 10 minutes of active prep.
- Brussels sprouts are on special from January 18-24 while supplies last.
- You probably already have all the other ingredients in your home (Parmesan cheese, olive oil, salt and pepper)!
3. Sautéed Broccoli with Tomato & Bacon
This is an unusual but delicious combination of flavors, chock full of healthy broccoli and cherry tomatoes. If that side of steamed broccoli needs some re-imagining, this is just the thing to add some pizzaz. Start to finish it takes 20 minutes… and broccoli is on special!