This recipe is a Wolff’s favorite! Tip: Freeze leftover soup for an easy weeknight meal later on.
Leek Soup With Potato and Tomato
Recipe type: Soup
- 3 leeks (bulbs only—the white part)
- 6 plum (“Roma”) tomatoes (chopped)
- 4 medium potatoes (diced)
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. dried tarragon
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Cut leeks in half lengthwise and clean thoroughly
- Chop leeks into thin half-moons
- Sauté leeks on medium heat in butter until soft (about 6 mins.)
- Add tomatoes (with juice) and simmer 10 minutes, stirring frequently
- Add broth, potatoes, salt, cayenne pepper and tarragon. Let simmer until potatoes are soft (about 20 mins.)
- Use a hand blender and puree while slowly adding in the cream and lemon juice.
- (NOTE: if you do not have a hand blender, just let soup cool for about a ½ hour and puree in a blender. This may need to be done in batches.)
- If you wish, serve with croutons on top for added texture. ENJOY!