Looking for a vegetarian option at your next cookout? Try this recipe soon, while local tomatoes and basil are at their peak!
Portabella Bruschetta Burger
(Note: If using a charcoal grill, cooking time will be decreased a bit, if cooking during the “high-heat” of the coals.)
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped (not packed down)
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- fresh ground black pepper (about ½ tsp)
- sea salt or kosher salt (about ½ tsp)
- 2 portabella mushrooms (stems removed)
- 4 kaiser rolls
- Combine tomato, basil, parmesan, vinegar, olive oil, garlic, salt & pepper in a large bowl and toss gently. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Pre-heat grill to medium heat.
- Lightly brush portabellas with olive oil.
- Grill portabellas with spore sides down on an upper rack of the grill until juicy and hot, about 15 minutes. Flip portabellas over. Spoon tomato mixture into mushroom caps to cover entire cap. Continue grilling until bruschetta is heated through, about 15 minutes. Serve on kaiser rolls. Serves