Use fresh-picked, locally grown spinach for this classic Greek dish!
Author: Wolff's Apple House
- 3 Tbs olive oil, plus more to coat pan
- 1 bunch leeks, chopped, rinsed, and dried
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs spinach, stems removed, washed and chopped
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1 bunch hydro basil, chopped
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 7 oz pack feta cheese, crumbled
- 8 sheets phyllo dough
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly oil a 9x9 square baking pan.
- Heat 3 Tbs olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Sauté leeks until softened, then add garlic and sauté until leeks and garlic are both lightly browned. Stir in spinach and all the herbs, and continue to sauté until the spinach is wilted. Add the lemon zest and remove from the heat. Cool to room temperature.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, ricotta, and feta. Stir in the spinach mixture. Lay 1 sheet of phyllo dough in the prepared pan, and brush with a thin layer of olive oil. Repeat this process with 3 more layers of phyllo dough and oil. The sheets are supposed to overlap the pan.
- Spread the spinach and cheese mixture into the pan and fold the excess dough over the filling. Brush lightly with oil, then layer the remaining 4 sheets of phyllo dough with oil, repeating the process from the bottom of the pan. Tuck the excess dough on top into the sides to seal off the spinach filling.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden. Let sit for a few minutes, and then cut into squares or triangles and serve.